About the institution
Preparatory Institution for International Students (PIFIS) has been the official preparatory program of Corvinus University since 1992, and the official preparatory program of Budapest Business School - University of Applied Sciences (BBS) since 2016. At PIFIS our experience teaching international students means that we know how and for what we need to prepare students during our highly intensive academic curriculum. We are accredited and inspected by the official industry inspection body in Hungary. All of our teachers are subject specialists. Most of them hold a second degree or a PhD, some are not only prominent professors at Corvinus University or BBS, but also heads of departments or Vice-Deans.
PIFIS staff is determined to support students. We, however, are well aware of the fact that students are not alike. They come from a wide range of backgrounds, have different characters, are more matured or less matured. That is the reason why we have developed a program managing weekly, midterm and final exam results, absence, performance on assignments, time-tables, etc.
About the program
A one-year preparatory program is suggested for students who plan to do their Bachelor studies in Hungary, but wish to strengthen their English and Mathematics knowledge before attending university. We offer flexible pathways and always take into account each student’s abilities, needs, ambition and efforts. Our students are not only coached for university entry but they will be equipped with skills to perform well throughout their university-years. Naturally, we carefully manage our students’ transition to Hungarian (European) life, culture, customs as well as to the Hungarian education system. We are committed to ensuring they leave us to achieve success at the best business schools in Hungary.
Upon finishing our program and meeting specific requirements, students can gain direct admission to the following bachelor's degree programs:
1. Corvinus University of Budapest:
- BA in Business and Management
- BA in International Business
- BA in Applied Economics
2. Budapest Business School – University of Applied Economics
- BSc in Commerce and Marketing;
- BSc in Tourism and Catering;
- BSc in International Business Economics;
- BSc in Finance and accounting;
- BA in Communication and Media Science;
- BSc in Business Administration and Management.
If you already have a relevant bachelor's degree (or study in the last year of your bachelor studies), upon finishing our program and meeting specific requirements, you can gain direct admission to the following master's degree programs at Budapest Business School - University of Applied Sciences (BBS):
- MSc in Tourism Management;
- MA in International Studies;
- MSc in International Economics and Business.
PIFIS teachers are committed to provide our students with preparation for an independent life and a fruitful career at university and afterwards. Therefore, besides teaching English and Maths we focus on improving their life skills, such as:
• intercultural awareness
• self-awareness, self-discipline and self-confidence
• learning styles and strategies
• understanding body language
• note-taking (while reading or listening)
• reading complex texts effectively
• analysing and synthesising information
• negotiation and seminar skills
• presentation skills (PPT / Prezi)
• examination skills (written and oral)
We also teach them how to:
• write a CV, a cover-letter, a job application, different types of essays, summaries, questionnaires
• reference and write a bibliography
• think critically, form and express opinions, consider evidence, give reasons and make choices
• describe tables, charts, trends
• analyse data and report on a survey
Having an accommodation in Hungary while studying here is necessary in order to be able to obtain a visa. If you would like PIFIS to organize accommodation for you, we offer the following two choices:
1. Milestone dormitory
- Newly built high quality designer apartments;
- 1 person/apartment;
- Only 15 minutes away from the PIFIS campus;
- Extra services included such as WiFi, gym, cleaning, study room usage, etc.;
- Rooms start from 430€/month + booking fee and general loss fee (deposit).
2. Csengery dormitory
- Lower quality dormitory in the heart of the city;
- 2-3 people/room;
- 25 minutes away from campus;
- 700€ deposit for the first 4 months, then 150€/month.
Having a health insurance while you stay in Hungary is also necessary in order to get a visa. We can offer you the possibility to be insured by Medicover (www.medicover.hu). They are a leading company in their field in our region and also the best solution in Hungary for foreign students. If you choose to be covered by Medicover we will send your certificate of insurance via DHL before your visa application, but you will only need to pay for the insurance when you arrive to Hungary. The annual fee of the insurance is 75.000 HUF (approximately 250 EUR).