1. What are the languages of instruction in Hungary for foreign students?
Most of the programmes are offered in English language. Some of the universities have programmes in German as well.
2. Is there any general admission procedure for Hungarian higher education institutions?
No. Each university defines admission procedure on its own, but general process and requirements are similar:
- for bachelor's degree programmes: IELTS 5.0-6.0 or TOEFL 60-80 score, secondary school/high school certificate with the final exam results (with official translation if the original document is not issued in English or Hungarian). Applicants studying in the last year of high school/secondary school can provide the certificate stating their status and transcript of records instead of a certificate of graduation;
- for master's degree programmes: IELTS 5.5-6.5 or TOEFL 70-90 score, bachelor's diploma and the transcript of records (with official translation if the original document is not issued in English or Hungarian). Applicants studying in the last year of bachelor's degree can provide the certificate stating their status and transcript of records instead of a diploma.
- for PhD programmes: IELTS 6.0-7.0 or TOEFL 80-100 score, master's diploma and the transcript of records (with official translation if the original document is not issued in English or Hungarian), and research proposal. Applicants studying in the last year of master's degree can provide the certificate stating their status and transcript of records instead of a diploma.
Besides these documents, some universities and departments can require additional documents (CV, motivation letter, medical certificate, recommendation letter, etc.).
3. Do I need to come to Hungary to attend an entrance exam?
Usually, no. Because, most of the universities hold online entrance exams (e.g. Skype) and you can take it from your home country. However, in some cases, personal attendance in entrance exams held in Hungary can also be required (mostly medicine-related programs).
4. Can I get accepted without language certificate (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) to degree programmes?
Most of the universities offer institutional language exams for the applicants who do not have required international language certificate. Candidates who pass this internal language exam can study from the first year, but the ones who fail this exam have to study 1-2 semesters in preparation year (foundation) of the university. Our company has the right to hold exams for different universities.
5. How high are the living costs for students in Hungary?
Hungary has very low living costs among European Union and Schengen Member States. Budapest is the most expensive city in Hungary, but overall living costs are 60-65% lower than New York , 55-60 % lower than London , 45-50 % lower than Paris , 40-45% lower than Canberra , 35-40% lower than Tehran , 10-15% lower than Beijing , about the same as Moscow , São Paulo and Jakarta . Students studying and living in the other Hungarian cities with universities Szeged, Debrecen, Pécs, Dunaújváros, Gödöllő, etc.) have around 15-30 % lower living costs than the ones in Budapest.
6. Are there any scholarship programmes in Hungary for foreign students?
We do not offer any scholarships in Hungary, however Hungarian government, various funds and organizations offer scholarships if you meet their criteria.
7. Are diplomas from Hungarian higher education institutions recognized abroad?
Of course. Higher education in Hungary dates back to 1367 when Louis the Great founded the first Hungarian university in the city of Pécs. Hungary joined European Union in 2004 and Bologna process is applied to those who started their university education starting from September 2006. Therefore many students come to Hungary from all parts of the world and you can find foreign citizens from almost all countries here.
8. I am not able to stay in Hungary, can I get part-time or distant education?
Unfortunately, no. Higher education institutions of Hungary do not offer this to foreign students.
If you don't find answer to your question here, don't hesitate to contact us .